Even if this blog has no intrinsic value, it has motivated me to organize and finish up projects that have been languishing (mostly off the needles). I've reworked the SnB Windy City scarf into something I enjoy wearing, and have even managed to weave in all the ends (54, after splitting yarn into 2-ply!). I've now learned that it is important to weave in as I go, so the chore is not so large at the end. As a further exercise in delayed gratification, I was not going to release DNA scarf #1 from the blocking board until I was done with this scarf. This was a wise idea, since I did not experience a rise in excitement level at being close to done, even when weaving in the last two ends. Alas, the DNA scarf was still slightly damp, so I've moved it from the (cold) basement to an upstairs room.
I've been spending my spare time yesterday and today weaving in the ends of the Windy City scarf. The downside to the fibonacci pattern -- all these ends to weave in. I am splitting the yarn into two, so it is not so bulky when woven in. By my count, there are 54(!) ends to weave in. These are the last ones left -- I'm two-thirds of the way through. I'm not going to take the DNA scarf off the blocking board until I am done with the Windy City; that will be my reward.
The Fibonacci Windy City scarf is done blocking, so now it is DNA scarf's turn. I am also weaving in the ends of Fibonacci Windy City, which is taking awhile. I am splitting the fiber into two, and weaving each part in separately; otherwise it is too bulky. I am saving the scraps of yarn to stuff the cat toy.
I'm not sure it needed it, but it was good practice for the DNA scarf. So far I've learned that my washing machine does not have a spin-only cycle (at least not that I can figure out), and that having a grid background on the blocking "board" is a good thing. Guess it is time to get that gingham tablecloth after all.
Action shot frogging the Windy City scarf back to the first row of black.
I read the Techniques with Theresa column on frogging in knitty. For extra insurance, I inserted the needle in the second row of black, and then unknit back to the first row. This was more by way of experiment and practice for precision, since it would have been faster to over-frog and re-knit. Or I could have stood to lose a few rows of purple, too.
I modeled the scarf in the mirror, and marked the new length that I wanted with a stitch marker. I then planned the best match Fibonacci sequence: 1-8-1-5-2-3-3-2-5-1-8-1. There should be a little more black at the end with that plan, so the lower stitch marker is marking the planned new length (of course, there needs to be 13 rows of black at the end!).
I am more of a process knitter. I chose things that I will enjoy having, but I lose motivation for the final steps once it comes off the needles (or at least that has been by experience from the 3-4 projects that I have worked on). Especially motivation-draining is when things don't turn out the way you'd expect.
This is the Windy City Scarf from the first Stitch n Bitch; k1 p1 rib on #9 circulars. Fashionwise, I am very scarf-challenged, so I liked the concept of a keyhole to pull the scarf end through. (This is also a reason why I like the seaman's style of the DNA scarf, no wrapping for the scarf-challenged person).
The Windy City scarf as executed here has several problems. 1) The purple section is too long. The black section is also far too long. About 2/3 of the black needs to be frogged to obtain a length that looks right on me in the mirror. 2) The colors are not working with the way the scarf is designed. In the SnB, the colors are different enough that the change pops out. I chose the colors to match a fleece that I have, which is obviously not garish enough. Since the tone is so similar, the black just looks like an incorrect purple. 3) I didn't know how to purl, so all of the purl stitches are twisted. This is not a problem per se; the scarf is thicker, and I like the effect. The problem is that I know how to correct for twisted stitches on the needle, and it will be a pain to knit incorrectly now if I want to redo parts of the scarf.
Number 1 can be solved by frogging, 2 and 3 cannot. 2 can be solved by changing the pattern, and 3 can only be solved by either re-knitting the entire scarf, or by being motivated enough by the pattern changes to knit eastern crossed for the duration of fixing the scarf.
My first idea was to rip out the black and replace with 1/3 the length of purple. Does the job, but is not particularly exciting, and I don't have a black end to match the cuffs of my light purple fleece. Then I thought of incorporating the Fibonacci sequence as a transition between the purple and black. I've wanted to do such a transition for awhile, but I'm not planning any projects that could incorporate it in the near future. So that solves problem #3.