Okay, this would be much better with an actual baby, but I don't have one of those. And the cats wouldn't sit still long enough to model. Instead we present the self-designed fish hat (or perhaps trojan warrior), with the basic hat based on the Lil' devil baby hat from Kittyville. Modeled on balls of yarn.
I didn't manage to keep quiet about the stitchmarkers, which was supposed to be confirmation of a correct guess for my Knitty SP4 downstream SP, becmclaughlin. I did manage to keep my mouth shut hands off the keyboard for the wire knitting that I accomplished, though. The design is from Lucy Neatby. I think they turned out really well, though a bit large (they are very light, though). Becky, I hope you wear earrings / have pierced ears - if not, they are easily modified to necklace / charm-type doodads.
I thought that I would be able to get a good shot of the Highland Triangle Shawl at the state fair, but I was cruelly disappointed - almost all of the knitting entered was crammed into one case. So here it is, taken from the persepective of the stairs. I will be sending out a lot of packages on Monday, this one is for my grandmother.
Fingerless mittens, ends woven in, check! Ironically, it is the gloves that photograph well in any light that are getting the nice morning sunlight. This completes the clearing of the sidebar; now to plan out upcoming projects. And, we present the recursive fingerless mittens photograph:
This has to be the project that was hanging out on the sidebar the longest. Even more painful than weaving in the infinite ends for the St. John's Cross scarf was the change in gauge while knitting this. My knitting got a lot looser on the second side - probably a good thing in the abstract, but horrible for the project. It was about 10% wider and 15% longer, which looked horrible with the cables. It was so bad that I didn't think blocking would help, so I avoided it. But the blocking - it is like magic! I stretched the shorter side out, and made sure not to stretch the larger size at all, and came up with good results.
Now, to deal with the cat hair; love the silky wool, but it is a magnet for cat hair.
...at least the smaller and more easily photographed ones. Will try again with the shawls on the weekend.
If the Silk Garden had cooperated, this could have been a very nice two-skein scarf. Instead, the Mandalay Silk ran out right before the light pink on the Silk Garden - which I really wanted to include, to balance the black that showed up on the other side. Therefore, purchase of another skein of Mandalay was required. This will likely lead to the purchase of yet another skein, since my sister would like to knit a cabled scarf out of it.
The top of the photo shows that the stitch is technically reversible, though the yarn choices make an effective right and wrong side.
Okay, not even close, but things have been shuffling downwards in the sidebar. One of the points of the blog was to finish up projects, since I like doing things on the needles, but often let things languish once they are off. I'm not sure how much of this is because many of the projects have been a bit of a disappointment in one way or another. Perhaps instead of "homestretch" the category should be renamed "penalty box."
I've talked about my disappointment with the way this scarf design (or more accurately, the colors) turned out before. The practical problem was that the reverse stockinette section was curling badly... blocking did fix this for the most part. I did not want to crochet the edges, since it would ruin the effect of the horizontal striping. The slip-stitch edge still poufs up a bit, but that has been deemed acceptable.
I've also discovered that lace shawls are darn hard to photograph; I will try again tomorrow.
I'm obviously most excited about the items I'm working on, but I do have a few finished items to share. The fingerless gloves are the third item I cast on for (after the Fibonacci Windy City Scarf and the first DNA scarf), and my first project in the round. These were knit on size 4 DPNs with Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in River Run held together with Madil Kid Seta, from a free pattern by Borealis Yarns. I did the first glove backwards (the yarn was on the far DPNs), so there was a lot of purling involved (fortunately wasn't too bad knitting combo style). I also learned how to m1, short rows at the top, and just learned how to pick up stitches. The first glove took months, so I was dreading the second one - but I must have gotten better, since it only took a weekend! They were then stalled at the thumbs, but I learned how to pick up stitches last week, so I practiced on these before tackling the Highland Shawl. The first thumb had some holes at the top, which I was able to fix when weaving in the ends, and the second turned out perfectly. I like the way these turned out, and am looking forward to using the second half of the yarn to make a matching feather and fan scarf.