Work has been getting most of my energy lately, so I've been doing "comfort knitting," patterns that I've done many times before - fingerless mittens and cat beds. There are a couple of new twists (literally) to the fingerless mittens, though. I've added some length and (reversed) mock cables to the gloves, along with some added purls and decreases to accomodate the length. I also wanted a bit larger glove, and tried the "medium-large" size (shown on right). I was even inspired to put on the thumb and weave in all the ends! I just kept ignoring the feeling that the gloves were really only suited for a giantess. It was only when starting the other glove that I finally admitted to myself that it wasn't going to work, and I didn't want to throw good knitting after bad. So I did the "small-medium" for the second glove. This fits my sister, who has medium-large hands... my gauge has drifted just a bit over pattern (10%). So if I want to make more gloves for myself, I'll need to go down a needle size.
This is really the first project I've had to frog due to size issues - the Fibonacci Windy City Scarf
was more an aesthetic issue. The cable section was the same on both gloves (I just decreased at the stockinette portion for the second glove). I used some of the nice contrasting brick Cherry Tree Hill and a tapestry needle to pick up the first stockinette row. Then I had to search and search for the woven in end, dig it out and start frogging. I didn't think I could recover much from the thumb, so I hacked away at the top with the thread cutter (which really inspired the Kali up top - thread bits flying everywhere); even so the thumb was difficult to remove. I tinked back the last row of stockinette, to get the decreases in the first row, and I was good to go. There was enough extra yarn from frogging and reknitting to put on both thumbs, with plenty left over.